By-Laws: Articles IX-XVI
Article IX: Regular Meetings
- Regular meetings shall be held at least three times a year.
- The date, time, and place of each meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee.
- A special meeting maybe called in lieu of or in addition to a regular meeting.
Article X: Annual Meeting
- The Annual Business Meeting shall be held in the month of December, and shall be considered a regular meeting.
- The date, time, and place of each annual meeting shall be determined by the Executive Committee.
- The Annual Business Meeting shall be the governing body of the Society.
Article XI: Voting Body
- The voting body of the meetings shall consist of the Full, Emeritus and Life members of the Society.
- Each eligible voter shall have but one vote.
- Ten percent (10%) of the eligible voters shall constitute a quorum. Two (2) of these members shall be members of the Executive Committee.
- Any motion that comes from the floor at a business meeting, which involves spending $1000 or more, requires that 70% of the membership in good standing be in attendance to be voted on at that meeting. If 70% of the membership in good standing is not in attendance, the motion shall be sent to all members for a vote by ballot or be warned in the next issue of The Cornerpost for voting at the next business meeting.
Article XII: Executive Committee
- The Executive Committee shall be comprised of the officers and the Board of Directors (see Article VI Sec. 1).
- A majority shall constitute a quorum.
The Executive Committee shall:
- Meet at the call of the President.
- Perform the duties delegated to it here and elsewhere under these by-laws.
- Transact business referred to it by the membership.
- Coordinate the work of standing committees and authorize and direct the work of each.
- Select the date, time, and place of all meetings, including the annual meeting.
- Submit to the membership such recommendations as it deems advisable.
- Determine the amount and authorize payment of fidelity bonds for the Treasurer of the Society.
- Take no action in conflict with that of the membership.
- Appoint the editor of the Society newsletter who shall serve until a successor is appointed.
- Have the authority to contract for administrative services.
Article XIII: Committees
- Standing committees may be created by the Executive Committee as deemed necessary to promote the objectives and carry on the work of the Society.
- All standing committees except the Executive Committee and the NSPS Committee shall be composed of not less than three (3) members of the Society
- Each standing committee shall make an annual report to the Society membership at the annual meeting, a copy of which report shall be filed with the Secretary.
- Special committees may be created and appointed by the President or Executive Committee.
Article XV: Committee Chairs
- Nominations for chairs of standing committees shall be made by the Committee on Nominations.
- Only a member of the Society, whose consent has been secured, shall be eligible for nomination for chair of a standing committee, either by the Committee on Nominations or from the floor.
- Election of chairs of standing committees shall be held at the annual meeting prior to the election of officers.
- Additional nominations may be made from the floor of this meeting. A majority of the votes cast shall constitute an election.
- If a vacancy occurs in the chair of a standing committee, the Executive Committee shall be empowered to fill such vacancy.
Article XV: Standing Committees
Nominating: Nominating committee, consisting of three members, shall be appointed annually by the Executive Committee at the first regular meeting following the annual meeting and shall serve until the first regular meeting following the next annual meeting; shall select one nominee for each office to be filled at the next annual meeting and mail a list of these nominees to all members via the Society newsletter prior to said meeting. Said list to include Officers, Directors, and Standing Committee Chairs.
Legislative: The Legislative Committee shall monitor proposed local, state and national legislation affecting the profession and regularly inform and advise the Society thereon. The Legislative Committee may introduce and lobby for legislation relevant to the profession, with the approval of the Executive Committee.
Program: The Program Committee shall, in cooperation with the Executive Committee, make all necessary arrangements for general membership meetings, professional development programs and any other functions of the Society as a whole that are approved by the Executive Committee.
G/L.I.S./Geodetic Control: The G/L.I.S./Geodetic Control Committee shall monitor the activities of any agency or entity engaged in the implementation and/or use of Geographic Information Systems as they pertain to the survey profession in Vermont; Shall offer expertise in survey matters and promote the role of the surveyor in the development and maintenance of such systems; Shall promote the use of the Vermont Coordinate System and assist in the maintenance of Vermont’s Geodetic Control Network.
Preservation: The Preservation Committee shall formulate procedures for preservation of plans and/or records of Vermont surveyors. The Committee shall implement said procedures to preserve any plans and/or records made available to the VSLS and shall insure that copies of same are properly indexed and safely stored.
NSPS: The NSPS Committee shall be the state NSPS director. The director will have a 4-year term that can be renewed once if no new candidates show interest. The director will attend two NSPS meetings per year; if the director is not able to attend a meeting, he or she will appoint a member of VSLS to attend in their place. The NSPS director will provide a written update to members following every NSPS meeting, to be included in The Cornerpost.
Article XVI: Amendments
These by-laws may be amended at the Annual Meeting of the Society at which a quorum is present, by a two-thirds vote of the members present. Any duly warned proposed change to these by-laws may be amended from the floor by pertinent amendment at such Annual Meeting.
February 11, 1965
May 6, 1965
May 8, 1969
May 8, 1971
May 18, 1973
May 10, 1974
May 9, 1975
May 13, 1977
May 15, 1981
May 14, 1982
May 6, 1983
May 10, 1985
May 1, 1987
May 6, 1988
May 3, 1990
May 2, 1991
April 30, 1992
May 6, 1993
May 13, 1994
May 5, 1995
May 8, 1998
May 14, 1999
May 12, 2000
May 16, 2003
May 19, 2006
December 14, 2007
May 1, 2009
December 14, 2012
December 16, 2016